BISTRIŢA MONASTERY

November 22, 2009 

                The Bistriţa Monastery is a Romanian Ortodox monastery located in Viişoara village, 9km far from Piatra Neamţ, some where near the confluence of Viişoara River with Bistriţa River, at the feet of Cetăţuia Hill. It was built during the rule of Prince Alexander the Good -Alexandru cel Bun). Along the time the monastery was consolidated and some new buildings were added during the rule of Stephen the Great –Ştefan cel Mare (when the steeple and the chapel were built; he also gave a bell on which Moldavia’s coat of arm appeared). In 1554, the monastery was consolidated totally by Petru Rares who brought numerous talented painters from Venice. The monastery also houses a valuable museum which conserves precious religious objects, icons and other original art objects. (This is where the first Manuscript of Moldavia was written). One of the attractions of the monastery is the making miracles icon of Saint Anne (who is also the The tomb of the   Alexandru cel Bunprotector of the monastery) offered in 1401 by the Manuel II Palaiologos, emperor of Constantinopole to the ruler Alexander the Good. Here, at Bistrita Monastery, the princely family decided to bury some of his members: Prince Alexander the Good with his wife, two children of Stephen the Great (Alexander and Ana). The church is historically and archaeologically valuable. It shows features of Byzantine architecture, has many beautiful ornaments, the 15th century entrance door being a work of fine craftsmanship. The bell tower was erected in 1498 by Stephen the Great.
                The monastery was an important cultural center for calligraphers, miniaturist and cronichlers.                                     The monastery's museum hosts an important collection of medieval art.
                                                                                            by Anca,